19 Haziran 2010 Cumartesi

How did it start?

 Well, it started like this:


This photo was taken at Bilkent University - Ankara this year in March. We had joined an Ultimate Frisbee championship in which we didn't play too much but rather chilled out on the field and watched the others play. That little Altec Lansing iPod dock laying on the grass was the hero of the day. It was so cool listening to music for me that day. By the way, I was doing my military service for the last 4 months when I joined the tournament. I hadn't listened to proper music during this period which made me crave for audio. This might have added a little bit to my amusement with the device and the music. I had missed my days as an audio enthusiast. When the tournament was over and I got back to the headquarters, I knew I wanted to start a diy project based on a mobile speaker. I had had enough of the soldier stuff and I wanted some engineering already.

First Ideas
On my spare times in the army where I would just sit along waiting for nothing to happen as fast as possible, I started building the concept in my mind. It would be a device standing on the floor which would serve as a table for your drinks etc. It would be the center of mass in a cocktail environment. It would not be loud, but it would have a thick volume with plenty of low frequency and high end. It would be a user friendly device with minimum amount of controls on the outside.

First I considered modelling a 360° horn for the high frequencies using finite element methods and lots of academic study but then I got carried away with the excitement of building something and decided to take it easy on the preliminary studies. I went for a more direct route and preferred using fill speakers on sides or an array of speakers around the device. I had two Vifa P13WH0008 mid-bass speakers lying around, they were presents from a friend. These would be utilized in this project as well.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder